At the end of the 70’s of last century the Central Customs Administration of the Czechoslovak Republic decided to establish a customs museum in the city of Brno. A team of experts was put together to open this museum, but unfortunately due to the political changes that occurred in 1989, just shortly before the grand opening of the constructed museum, the Authorities decided otherwise.
The idea to build a customs museum (hereinafter referred to as “Exposition”) was once again refreshed in 2005 by the Czech Customs Headquarters which assigned this task to the Customs Directorate in the city of Pilsen. The Customs Directorate in Pilsen offered its entire basement to build the customs historical Exposition. In 2008 the initial reconstruction of the basement area started. First part of the reconstruction was finished in 2009. The second phase of the reconstruction was finished in 2011 and the final phase in 2013.
All this resulted into having space for the customs Exposition, with many displays and also the necessary background for the officials. In the basement of the building of the Customs Office in the city of Pilsen is nowadays located the Exposition in several smaller rooms. The objective was to create a space for historical objects and artefacts mapping the customs history in Czech lands starting in the middle ages until current days. The objects are displayed behind a safety glass thus being protected from any kind of damage or theft. Artefacts are being outsourced mostly by purchasing from various collectors. Only in very limited cases the museum receives an artefact as a gift. The main part of the Exposition is comprised from three main collections.
The first collection would be the Czechoslovakia Customs Officer uniforms complete collection in a chronological order from 1923 till 2012 and the Czechoslovakia Financial Guard Officer uniforms complete collection in a chronological order from 1920 till 1948.
The second collection is made of weapons and weaponry used by the Financial Guards and the Customs Officers reaching about 150 years back into the history.
The third collection is made of technical equipment used in customs offices during daily tasks of Customs and Financial Officers.
Other objects are not forming a complete unified collection at the moment. They are however very unique and special. These would be for example an old customs office plates, border marks etc. and they form a part of the overall Exposition. All of the valued artefacts are registered within a special database of the Customs Administration.
The museum is mostly visited by officials of the Enforcement Authorities, Public Sector Administration officials, students, organized school visits and some individual visitors as well.
Another activity would be the short term mobile Expositions organized several times in a year at various locations of the country. These short term mobile Expositions became very popular being visited by many individual local visitors.